A working supervisor who is responsible for the supervision and training of the Building Services and Laundry departments staff members. Ensures that all areas are run efficiently, effectively and in accordance with applicable standards under the direction of the Manager of Support Services.
SHIFT: Various, including weekends if needed
Essential job duties:
- Is responsible for the supervision, recruitment, assignment, in service, training, coaching, scheduling, development and timely evaluation of assigned staff in collaboration with the Manager of Support Services. Introduces and instructs personnel in use of equipment and cleaning methods
- Schedules work, ensures adequate staffing and evaluates performance in relation to department objectives and responsibilities.
- Responsible for personnel actions in collaboration with Manager of Support Services to include authorizing and/or recommending salary changes, promotions, transfers, discipline, termination, vacation schedules, leaves of absence, performance appraisals and resolving grievances and other personnel actions in coordination with Human Resources and in accordance with established system policies.
- Ensures that department staff complete required or necessary orientation, annual training and in-services. Also ensures all competencies are maintained.
- Provides input to the Manager for the development and administration of the department budget to provide efficient and cost effective utilization of resources.
- Ensures timely and cooperative inter- and intra-departmental relationships and communications throughout the hospital and the system and with individuals external to the hospital and system.
- Follows all hospital and system policies and procedures and ensures staff does the same. Ensures those hospital and departmental policies and procedures for which responsible and kept up to date and accurate.
- Effectively participates in Quality/Performance Improvement (QI/PI) programs. Collaborates with the Infection Control Program
- Keeps the Manager appropriately informed about all significant issues and problems and seeks the Manager’s counsel when necessary.
- Maintains skills and regulatory requirements needed to perform assigned duties.
- Participates in Family Centered and Patient Experience activities and meetings.
- Responsible for the effective supervision of the Building Services department which includes cleanliness of the hospital, waste collection/management, snow removal, interior decorating and furniture selection/maintenance, internal moves, pest control, quality control, inventory, time and attendance, work reports, records maintenance and maintaining the outside grounds, trees and shrubbery. Maintains cleaning materials, supplies and equipment.
- Tours hospital areas and inspects completed work for compliance with department standards and to determine next assignments.
- Responsible for the effective supervision of the Laundry Services department which includes the pickup of dirty linen and clothing, delivery of clean linen, clothing and supplies to the appropriate departments, the processing of dirty linen and clothing received from departments. Ensuring adequate quantity of linen is requested from contractor and monitoring the quality of linen sent by contractor . Coordinates the requisition and purchase of clothing. Contacts laundry contractor to solve problems as they arise.
- Ensures employees are following instructions and observing safety rules. Participates on safety teams as requested.
- Ensures staff, department and facility compliance with local, state, and federal laws, regulations and standards, including those governing professional practice. Assumes responsibility for meeting requirements specified by TJC/CARF/DC Health and other relevant regulatory agencies and organizations.
- Able to utilize and understand hazardous materials.
- Belongs to the fire response team in case of fire and other emergency.
- Performs building services duties as required. Supervises and assists in snow removal
- Assists in moving furniture, supplies and equipment
- Contacts Customer Services to request maintenance of building, furnishings and equipment as necessary.
- Develops and produces reports that monitor the performance, efficiency, effectiveness and/or productivity of all areas of responsibility.
- May perform other duties in addition to those outlined in this job description.
Have a minimum of three-year experience in housekeeping and other building services related duties. Two-years of experience at a supervisory level. Must have ability to supervise individuals. Must have good verbal and written communication skills. Must have ability to train and educate staff members under supervision. Be able to operate and maintain housekeeping equipment. Ability to plan and coordinate all housekeeping and Laundry activities. Good computer skills are required.
High school graduate or equivalent.
The incumbent will be responsible for the general supervision of Building Services and Laundry staff members.