Responsible for greeting patients and families and initiating the medical record, both written and electronic. The registrar is responsible for quality patient registrations by obtaining thorough and accurate information in a timely and efficient manner and entering this data correctly.
Essential job duties:
1. Operates office equipment, such as voice mail messaging systems, and use word processing, spreadsheet, or other software applications to prepare reports, invoices, financial statements, letters, case histories, or medical records.
2. Receives and routes messages or documents, such as laboratory results, to appropriate staff.
3. Receives payments and record receipts for services.
4. Obtains signature of patient or responsible party giving consent for treatment/testing, release of medical information and assignment of insurance benefits.
5. Hears and resolves complaints from the patients or forwards the patients to the relevant department. Analyzes data to determine answers to questions from customers or members of the public.
6. Maintains confidentiality of health information, both in oral and written formats.
7. Utilizes excellent customer relations and professional skills while interacting with all physicians, payers, referral sources, patient families, employees and visitors.
8. Completes benefits verification.
9. Ensures that all insurance eligibility information is accurate and benefits are verified.
10. Identifies and communicates verification/certification problems and communicates them to the appropriate party, office staff and relevant hospital departments.
11. Works with Patient Accounting as necessary to obtain information needed for billing and to avoid denials.
12. Properly documents all relevant actions into the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems.
13. Records required pertinent information in EMR systems related to the patient’s accident or injury.
14. Consistently verifies all demographic information taking full responsibility to make corrections if applicable.
15. Demonstrates competence in utilizing verification and eligibility systems.
16. Manages the appointment reminders for patients.
17. Assists with vendor communication and scheduling.
18. Completes all job functions as per departmental policies and procedures.
Other job duties:
1. Performs other duties as required.
Minimum of one year of medical admissions experience. Excellent interpersonal, problem solving and communication skills.
High school or GED diploma.