Service Area:The HSC Pediatric Center
The Staff Outpatient Recreation Therapist facilitates therapeutic recreation group programming. He/she is responsible for participant intakes, planning and implementing recreation therapy services for the outpatient/community population.
Essential job duties:
1. Perform and document pertinent intake results, including participant and/or family interview, observation, objective measurements, systems review and interpretation of findings, within timeframes consistent with department policy.
2. Will communicate program expectations and outcomes when applicable to families and community team.
3. Utilize outcome measurement tools as per established guidelines.
4. Involve patient/family and/or other caregiver(s), with soliciting feedback for future events including expectations and limitations.
5. Effectively and independently provide recreation therapy services according to professional standards and established regulations set forth by HSC, the Department of Health and The Joint Commission which focus on patient safety, function, goals, etc.
6. Periodically re-evaluate and modify group activity based on developmental need.
7. Instruct and encourage the participant, family members and/or caregivers in therapeutic activities and family education related to community health/wellness.
8. Responsible for supporting the Recreation Therapy clinical education program. Will oversee students as assigned. Will assist with the support of a recreation therapist clinical education program.
9. Assist with the development and/or revision of departmental policies and procedures.
10. As appropriate, effectively handle administrative/shared responsibilities.
11. Make suggestions regarding purchase of new equipment and supplies, when necessary.
12. Maintain equipment and supplies in a clean and orderly condition.
13. Demonstrate familiarity with all policies and procedures related to the outpatient program.
14. Ensure that he/she completes required or necessary orientation, annual training and in-services. Also ensure all competencies are maintained.
15. Ensure timely and cooperative inter- and intra-departmental relationships and communications throughout the hospital and the system and with individuals external to the hospital and system.
16. Assist with the monitoring and evaluation process related to each program for important aspects of care for the program via performance improvement.
17. Design monthly calendars and quarterly newsletters. Update system website of calendar of events.
18. Facilitate and support program compliance with local, state, and federal laws, regulations and standards, including those governing professional practice. Assumes responsibility for meeting requirements specified by The Joint Commission /DOH and other relevant regulatory agencies and organizations.
19. Maintain skills, licensure, regulatory requirements and credentials needed to perform assigned duties.
Other job duties:
1. May perform other duties in addition to those outlined in this job description.
Must demonstrate a professional and enthusiastic interest in pediatrics, enhancement/development to address the diverse and holistic needs of this population. Must have a working knowledge of the principles of pediatric recreation therapy. Knowledge of growth and development, and of diseases and disabilities. Ability to work well with others. Ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing. Computer system/software proficiency.
Current/eligible for District of Columbia recreation therapist license; National Council of Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC).
Must have a BA/BS degree in Therapeutic Recreation or Recreation Therapy from a National Council Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) accredited institution.