Inpatient Program — Preparing for Your Child's Visit
From your child’s first day at The HSC Pediatric Center, our staff begins to plan and prepare for the return home. Your child and family are our top priority. Learn more about our inpatient program.
What You Should Bring
We happily provide clothing, toys and games for your child during their stay at The HSC Pediatric Center. If you decide to bring personal items, be sure to label each item clearly. Please leave valuables at home as the hospital cannot be responsible for them.
A Typical Day
- 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. Wake up, bath routine, dressing, and breakfast
- 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Lunch time and "quiet time" for naps and resting
- 4:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Dinner, bath routine (if not done in morning), and getting ready for bed (depending on child's age)
- 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. Quiet time/bed time
Therapy sessions will be scheduled throughout the day. The therapist will tell you how many times your child will receive therapy during the week and what the days and times will be.
We make sure your child doesn't fall behind with schoolwork. We provide school services to all students enrolled in District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia public schools.
We want you to visit, attend therapy sessions, and be a part of your child’s care as much as possible. Our goal is to make you feel comfortable caring for your child in your home. During your child's stay we will review the specific training that you will need to care for your child at home. To help you cope with the challenges of a disability or illness, we also offer pastoral care, a family resource library, family teaching apartments, and family support groups.
Your children who are at home may have many concerns and questions about their hospitalized sibling. We have health care providers who have been trained to present information to your children in the least stressful, most positive way.
As a parent, you are the most important part of your child’s life. We view you as part of the health care team and encourage you to come often. For your comfort, we have a cozy family lounge that you can use any time to watch TV, eat, catch up on emails, or just relax for a bit. The lounge is located on the 2nd floor, near the elevators outside 2 East, and has a restroom just outside the door.
Just for Kids
Have your kids read our booklets to learn more about The HSC Pediatric Center:
Outpatient - Preparing for Your Child's Visit
Preparing for an outpatient visit to one of our locations is important. First, make sure you have the appropriate address, directions and contact information of the location before you leave for your child's appointment.
Before your visit, please read, print, and fill out the following information:
- HSC therapy information forms [PDF - 376KB]
- Outpatient Family Handbook [PDF - 2.1MB]
- Therapy Consent Form [PDF - 143KB]
- Telemedicine Information and Consent Form [PDF- 996KB]
Antes de su visita, por favor lea, imprima y rellene la siguiente información:
- Formularios sobre la terapia en HSC [PDF - 272KB]
- Guía para Pacientes Ambulatorios [PDF - 2.7MB]
- Formulario para Consentimiento de Tratamiento [PDF - 159KB]
- Información y consentimiento sobre la telemedicina [PDF - 447KB]
If you have any questions about your visit—including what to bring—do not hesitate to ask us.
Keeping children safe while in our care is our main priority. If your child has a cold or the flu, please reschedule your appointment for a time when your child is well.
Make an Outpatient Appointment
- HSC Pediatric Center
- HSC Outpatient Center
- Eastern Shore Mobility Machine Mobile Unit
Hours of Operation
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday 8 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday 8 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.