Kids in Action at Home!
During this time of change, our goal is to recreate the feel of our Kids in Action activities for you and your family to enjoy in the safety of your home.
We are now offering Kids in Action at Home activities. Activity information will be posted on our social media platforms:
For more information about Kids in Action, please email us firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is Kids in Action?
Kids in Action is an adaptive sports and social activities program for children and young adults with disabilities and their siblings. All kids should have the chance to play sports and be a part of activities with others their own age. We adapt our sports, social, and health-based activities and focus on each child's goals and strengths.
Kids in Action began as a way for children with disabilities to participate in structured activities in the community. Children with complex health care needs regularly move through different health care settings, such as from a traditional hospital to therapy. Many of our families couldn't find social and sports activities their children could participate in and practice the skills they learned through therapy services.
As a result, Kids in Action was first designed for The HSC Pediatric Center children. Today, it is open to all children in the Washington, DC area. All events are supervised by licensed therapists so that anyone can participate.
Who can participate?
Children and young adults with disabilities ages 4 and older in the Washington, DC area—and their sisters and brothers—can participate. We welcome all abilities and make adaptations so everyone can participate.
What do kids do?
We host a wide range of activities for children of all levels:
- Adaptive Sports - Held all throughout the year, adaptive sports offered include basketball, bowling, dance movement classes, kayaking, swimming, rock climbing, therapeutic horseback riding, yoga, and other activity-based outings.
- Adaptive Sports Special Events - Adaptive Adventure Day, Superhero Run, Walk & Roll, Adaptive Sports Camp, and more.
- Adaptive Activities - Kids in Action offers countless activities, including cooking classes, arts & crafts events, pet therapy dog shows, sensory-friendly theater outings, game nights, ice cream socials, movies, talent shows, Prom, and other educational activities.
- Sensory Mania - A sensory stimulation workshop designed for children who may not be able to participate in traditional, assisted athletic activities.
- Friday Night Fever - A monthly Teen Night designed for ages 11 and older to hang out with their peers, dance, participate in social events, and make new friends. Teen Nights are themed, per event!
- Healthy Habits - A 10-week, family-centered class focusing on nutrition, fitness and family communication.
- Family Support Workshops - Educational workshops for parents and caregivers of children and young adults with special health care needs are offered by licensed professionals of The HSC Pediatric Center and other HSC entities.
When are the activities held?
Most activities happen on Saturdays. Some, like swimming, martial arts, and yoga are 6-8 week sessions and happen during the week. Check out our Calendar of Events to see what’s coming up. And don’t wait. Some activities fill up, so sign up soon.
Is there a cost and how do I sign my child to become a Kids in Action All-Star?
Membership is FREE!
For information on how to join our Kids in Action family and for your child to become a Kids in Action All-Star, click to fill out the membership request form.
Where can I find out more about Kids in Action?
Contact Robyn Winston Cohen, our certified therapeutic recreation specialist, at email@example.com.