Orthotics & Prosthetics
About Orthotics & Prosthetics
Orthotics and prosthetics support or replace body parts that are not working well. Orthotics are devices, like braces or splints, that support or correct a part of the body. Leg braces and shoe inserts are examples of orthotics. Prosthetics replace missing body parts. Some prosthetics, like a prosthetic leg, are removable.
Our specialists work closely with you every step of the way. We evaluate your child and together with you, create goals that will increase your child’s ability to function in everyday life.
Services We Provide
We do a complete evaluation to determine what orthotics are best for your child’s needs and take measurements to ensure proper fit. Once we’ve created the device, we make adjustments to ensure it functions properly and follow up regularly. As your child grows, we work with you to adjust the fit and make new devices as needed. We can evaluate your child for:
- Foot, knee and leg orthotics — AFOs, SMOs, foot orthotics, HKAFOs, knee extension splints, dynamic movement orthosis, socks, and adapted shoes
- Hand, elbow and arm orthotics — Elbow extension splint, hand splints, benik soft splints, dynamic movement orthosis gloves
- Trunk orthotics — Thoraco lumbar sacral orthosis, neoprene trunk supports, dynamic movement orthosis.
We also provide:
- Family training — We train you and any family and friends who care for your child to use and maintain the orthotics.
- Follow-up services — We encourage you to return to our equipment clinic for fitting as your child grows and his or her needs change.
Benefits of Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Improved ability to get around
- Increased independence and ability to perform daily activities
- Increased confidence
Location and Contact
We offer orthotics and prothetics at:
- The HSC Pediatric Center
1731 Bunker Hill Road, NE
Washington, DC 20017
- The HSC Outpatient Center
Prince George's County Location
4500 Forbes Boulevard
Lanham, MD 20706
- Montgomery County Location
14995 Shady Grove Road,
Suite 200 Rockville, MD 20850
To schedule an appointment, call 202-635-6167 weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Mobility Machine, Eastern Shore of Maryland
To make a referral or schedule a clinic in your area, contact Shannon Bowles, PT, ATP/SMS at 1-888-318-5380 or firstname.lastname@example.org.