About Palliative Care
Palliative care is care we provide to a child or young adult who is experiencing a life-limiting illness. We provide a supportive environment that focuses on better quality of life, family support, pain and symptom management, all while respecting your beliefs, values and priorities.
We provide palliative care in together with our HSC Butterfly Team, a team of professionals who work together with the child, family and care team to make sure your child and family have the best quality of life possible during a very difficult time. We make every effort to provide a private and comfortable surrounding that is sensitive to your family.
We respect your wishes during the illness, and at the end of life, when death occurs. We are also here to support you during the grieving and mourning process.
Services We Provide
Our goal is to make your child as comfortable as possible and to have the best quality of life possible. We do that by providing your child with:
- Pain and symptom management
- Care planning and goal setting
- Religious and spiritual support
- Opportunities to create memories
- Support for sisters and brothers
- Coordinated care with primary care providers
- Grief and bereavement services
Benefits of Palliative Care
Palliative care helps strengthen your child’s body, mind and spirit when they experience symptoms that come with a serious illness. Easing these symptoms:
- Helps provide the best possible quality of life for your child
- Makes your child better able to handle medical treatments
- Helps family members cope with the feelings and emotions of having a sick child
Location and Contact
This is a program for children who are already patients at The HSC Pediatric Center. To learn more about this inpatient program, please call our admission office at 202-635-6115, or visit how to get services page.