In response to COVID-19 (coronavirus), The HSC Health Care System is working closely with our local health agencies to protect and care for our patients and families. Learn more »
About Pediatric Psychology
We care about both the physical and emotional well-being of your child. Pediatric psychology services help your child and family adjust to complex medical conditions and hospital stays. Our pediatric psychologists are part of your child’s inpatient medical team and attend to the emotional, behavioral, social, and developmental needs of your child.
Services We Provide
- Psychological consultations
- Individual and family therapy interventions
- Parent/child counseling
- Psychoeducation about the social, emotional and behavioral aspects of complex medical conditions
- Treatment for preexisting or newly established psychological disorders
We help children with complex medical illnesses with:
- Coping and adjustment difficulties
- Psychological factors that affect their medical conditions (e.g., anxiety, depression)
- Behavioral issues
- Psychosocial pain management
- Medical adherence
- Grief and bereavement
Our pediatric psychologists consult regularly with other members of your child’s medical team, including physicians, nurses, social workers, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech/language therapists, nutritionists, case managers, recreation specialist and child life specialists. They also recommend appropriate follow-up care when your child leaves the hospital.
Location and Contact Information
The HSC Pediatric Center
1731 Bunker Hill Road, NE
Washington, DC 20017
Daytime and afterschool appointments are available Monday through Friday.
To schedule an outpatient appointment, call 202-635-5580 on weekdays.