Volunteers play an important role at The HSC Pediatric Center in helping our patients prepare to return to their homes, schools, and communities. We are committed to matching your skills and interests with a variety of opportunities available. We offer opportunities with patient care or administrative or clerical work. We also encourage groups to sponsor an event or activity for our children and their families. Learn more about The HSC Pediatric Center.
Patient Care and Clerical Volunteers
Patient care volunteers work directly with our children, extending the care of our nurses and therapists. You might cuddle a baby or toddler whose family cannot be here. You may read a story or help with schoolwork. You may also help recreation therapy staff plan and organize special parties, activities or outings for our patients.
Administrative and clerical volunteers lend a hand with tasks to keep the Center running smoothly. You may help with filing, shelving, labeling, copying, and mailings. You might answer phones or check-in visitors. You also may help with special events.
We work to match your skills and interests with the volunteer programs available. And, we provide training and supervision so you can make the best of your experience.
Who Can Volunteer
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Have a health screening. Volunteers are required to have two tuberculosis (TB) tests and drug screening.
- Get your first TB test done by your doctor. The HSC Pediatric Center will do the second TB test and drug screening.
- Obtain a copy of your immunization history from your doctor.
How to Apply
- Fill out the Volunteer Initial Screening.
- Complete an interview (our volunteer coordinator will conduct a phone interview with you)
- Attend one of our Saturday Volunteer Orientations.
Special Event Sponsorship
We often receive requests from groups that wish to plan events or other recreational activities for the children we serve. Because the children have disabilities and complex medical needs, we carefully screen and select events that work best for the children.
NOTE: We welcome all event proposals and review each one carefully. We are unable to accommodate all requests due to capacity constraints and the medical needs of our patients. If your proposal is not accepted, please don't hesitate to contact us to learn more about how to make your suggestions work for The HSC Pediatric Center.
We encourage activities that allow our patients to actively participate. We suggest the following activities, but you may feel free to offer other suggestions:
- Seasonal parties
- Games, arts, and crafts
- Demonstrations, such as mime or karate
- Dramatic productions
Who Can Volunteer
We ask that you:
- Ensure all group members are at least 16 years of age.
- Performers who do not interact with the patients may be 13 years of age or older.
- Limit your group to 10 people, unless special arrangements have been made.
How to Apply
- Have ready information about your event, including requirements, preparation, equipment, refreshments, timing of the event and gifts or favors. If your group wishes to donate specific items, check out our online wish list at Amazon.com
- Download the Volunteer Event Packet
- Complete the Patient Event Form in the Volunteer Event Packet
- Complete the Proposed Agenda Form in the Volunteer Event Packet
- Two weeks prior to the event, email the form to email@example.com.