The Junior Data Analyst will be responsible for the accurate and timely delivery of reports and data requests to various internal and external stakeholders within the HSC Health Care System. The Junior Data Analyst will also be required to develop a broad understanding of data sets available throughout the HSC Health Care System and will be required to create documentation that describes the flow of data from any given data set to its final output format, in accordance with policies set forth for the BI & Analytics area. The Junior Data Analyst will assist with the development, implementation, and maintenance of good and accurate data flowing from user inputs to reporting outputs. Position is responsible for the preparation and analysis of specific reports for the HSC Health Care System. The Junior Data Analyst educates and provides technical support as needed or requested within the scope of specific assigned responsibilities. Supports the Director/Senior Director in all of these endeavors.
Essential job duties
List job duties:
1. Ability to think strategically in connecting data flows into big picture business outcomes.
2. Ability to extract data using a variety of commercially available tools including MS Excel, MS SQL tools, including the ability to learn new analytics tools such as Tableau, Power BI, etc. Ideal fit will be an Excel guru comfortable with advanced data manipulation functions.
3. Develops a mastery of all available data sources to effectively serve as an organizational expert on from which databases data can be obtained. Demonstrates a curiosity and drive for identifying the most efficient and accurate reporting solutions.
4. Develops and maintains quality control standards and data reconciliation techniques for internal and external reporting.
5. Ability to create and maintain documentation relating to data management including training guides, report specifications, and data dictionaries. Documents the methodologies used to develop reporting outputs, including demonstrating the flow of data to supervisors for review purposes.
6. Ability to complete and validate ad-hoc data requests as needed by various internal departments
7. Ability to assist in maintaining the flow of accurate data sets to various tools that allow stakeholder access to information in a self-service manner, including Deerwalk, SSRS, and other tools as introduced.
8. Analyzes data to forecast and interpret potential trends in population health, and to ask/answer questions about medical claims, membership, care management, utilization management, etc.
9. Assists in creating graphs and charts for presentations to internal and external stakeholders.
10. Follows departmental policies and procedures in preparation of both recurring/compliance reports and ad hoc reports.
11. Attends meetings where reporting and analytics expertise is needed and represents the department in both internal and external settings. 12. Adheres to reporting deadlines for assigned reports.
1. Must have proven problem solving and critical thinking skills.
2. Light experience in writing SQL statements or using a graphical user interface tool that writes SQL statements.
3. Intermediate to Advanced level knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word.
4. Experience presenting technical data and information to non-technical users.
BA/BS in computer science, statistics, and/or public health or related field.
DC Residents are encouraged to apply!